Ahmadu Bello University A Mistake I Wish I Never Made

When in early 2017, a friend brought to my notice a first of its kind online MBA program here in Nigeria, I couldn't really believe him but when he opened the appealing advert of the ABU Online MBA, I got immediately interested as I had been looking forward to obtaining a MBA. 

I fully researched the program and everything looked perfect; I checked the course structure, delivery, fees and observed it was something I could do in my spare time, while still working.

In terms of structure, it was slightly self-paced but I was expected to pick up materials and prepare for exams; which I learnt were mainly computer-based tests at that time. On the issue of delivery, I learnt that there was an e-learning suite to deploy most of the course and I was going to be assigned an e-tutor for all courses I was to take; this I learnt should be about 24 in all. On fees, I learnt the current students were then paying less than 500 thousand naira overall hence reasonably affordable for me. 

Fast forward to May, 2017, I encouraged three other friends and colleagues to start the program and as we were about to register, we observed a change in fee structure; instead of the normal bulk fee, we were now to pay 10 thousand naira for electives and 20 thousand naira for core courses. This naturally increased the expected fees but in my gullibility, I felt i could still manage to afford it.

To my amazement, midway into the first semester, there was a change in the delivery structure, while some courses had committed e-tutors who were available to explain whatsoever challenges we had with the courses, some e-tutors were just non-existent. Another issue is the review of the examination twice within one semester; we learnt on NUC's insistence, the course had to be 50% theoretical paper/50% Computer based tests but later changed it to 30% assignments/30% Computer based tests/40% theoretical papers. 

In my typical perseverance, I adapted and continued with the program but observed midway that instead of the initial 24 courses being planned for, the courses had changed to about 30 in all.

By the next semester, all fees were changed to a flat 20 thousand naira. I was already in the middle of the river and having no choice, I continued with the program. Then came increment of offered courses to about 36 before finishing the program with all additional courses estimated at 20,000 naira per course. The painful part was that these courses were more or less repetitions; a course was sometimes divided into three parts just to ensure that instead of us paying 20,000, we get to pay 60,000. 

Just after complaining of the increasing fees and reduction in the quality of the programme, slight adjustments were made; this was insufficient in my dousing my increasing regrets for starting the program. Surprisingly, the university, introduced what they termed late registration fees; this was supposed to be added fees for registering late even though you will not be allowed access to the platform nor educational materials until you make payment. We could do nothing about it as all complaints were either not attended to or brought with it, further problems.
As if that was not enough, very close to exams, I observed additional 10,000 naira on the fee retinue; this was tagged examination fees. I felt the essence of our paying the 20,000 naira was to ensure everything relating to the individual courses was captured hence why add a fee that we were not told of at the beginning of the program and just when we were preparing for exams; when it was already confirmed that we have already made payment for the semester.

I became frustrated, and felt like just dropping out; having seen three of my colleagues drop out due to increasing fees. Coping financially was becoming hard for me and continuing with the program was becoming suffocating. 

I forced myself to continue the course; being someone who hardly gives up, but on entering into the fourth semester discovered that there were now new split courses which were illogical. We had courses like Seminar, Project 1, Project 2, internship etc. which were not going to be taught but we still had to pay for; we complained and expected palliative measures only to wake up and hear that the course delivery has been changed to single delivery which implies that the flexibility of the program was more or less gone and with it came the realization that the core focus of an MBA; practical orientation and fundamental understanding of key concepts was no more assured.
I computed everything I have paid for a programme that I have little or no say in and observed I am just a little bit short of 800 thousand naira yet I still have one full semester to go that I still have to pay for. I have to admit that I have been hoodwinked into thinking the ABU online MBA can give me what other international online MBAs could have given me; though the fees are fast getting similar. I seem to be in a one-chance vehicle but not knowing if its is sane for me to jump down. I woke up this morning to see that another 20,000 naira has been added to the fee retinue for transcript or something like that I can't remember applying nor planning to apply for.

I really need help before this financial pressure frustrate me into leaving this programme with the huge amount i have spent; maybe, like a colleague said, i should have used the money in buying a land in Kubwa and wait for it to appreciate because even with the MBA, there is no assurance of pay increase at work, new opportunities nor a profitable return on investment.

Please save my soul!!!

Comments